If you need to replace the small engine in a lawnmower, a pressure washer, or another piece of outdoor power equipment, you'll likely want to get a multi-purpose small engine. There are many motors that can fit the power needs for devices that depend on multi-purpose small engines. Honda, Briggs & Stratton, and Kawasaki are a few brands in the world of small engines.What is the difference between vertical and horizontal crankshaft orientation?
When selecting your small engine, you'll need to determine if you need a vertical orientation or a horizontal orientation. A vertical orientation runs the load from the bottom. If your crankshaft is running horizontally, you can load on either side of the engine. A horizontal flywheel provides extra cooling while a vertical setup can provide more power to your blades.What components are part of the engine assembly?
When choosing your small engine, look at the components that the factory may have installed as part of the assembly. Depending on the make and model of your multi-purpose engine, your engine may consist of the following parts:
- Carburetor: While the replacement engine's spark plug is firing, the carburetor is mixing air and gas in order to provide the necessary combustion to start the motor.
- Ignition coil: As part of the spark plug, the coil combines with the flywheel and spark plug of a small engine to create a spark, which then works with the carburetor's combustion.
- Fuel pump: Your small engine replacement may include a fuel pump if the carburetor is located above the gas tank. It takes the place of gravity carrying gas to the fuel lines.
Not all pieces of equipment require the same amount of horsepower for optimal function. You can determine the amount horsepower your multi-purpose engine needs to have by following these tips:
- Look at the engine: If you check your current small engine, you may see a number labeled as cc or HP. This is the amount of horsepower you need in your new engine.
- Find your make and model: If there is no information on the current engine, find its make and model. This will help you find the correct information for your engine.
- Find the code number: The identifier code for the engine is different than the mower, pressure washer, or blower's serial number. The information will be on a plate that is under the cover or on the side.